Is Your Home Safe?
Many residents are unaware of the potential threat that carbon monoxide (CO) poses in their homes.
Called the "silent killer," carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless and tasteless gas that can be deadly. It is produced any time fuel is burned and may come from common household appliances, such as gas stoves, water heaters, fireplaces, and generators. When appliances are not properly installed or maintained, they may malfunction and cause CO to seep into the home.
Because carbon monoxide has no smell or taste and the initial poisoning symptoms often mimic the flu (headache and nausea), victims may be unaware they are being exposed.
The only safe way to detect carbon monoxide in your home is with working carbon monoxide alarms. Easy to install and inexpensive, CO alarms are available at your local home improvement store.
Be sure to place CO alarms on every level of your home and near sleeping areas to help keep your family safe.
Did you know that more than three-fourths (76.3%) of Wisconsin homes use gas as the primary heating source, according to 2010 Census data?